6/03/2008

Listen to your baby

My daughter is now four and so it's super easy for her to tell me she'd like to be in the baby carrier or switch to front or hip. Actually, she rarely requests a hip carry. She did today, and I was so glad I had a baby carrier that allowed for that position.

It was super hot and muggy at the cow factory we were touring. She started out on my back but decided she'd be able to see more easily and be cooler on my hip, which is true. I quite enjoyed the break from the sweaty back. Then she wanted to do a front carry. It's hard for me to see around her head now that she's so big, but you won't catch me complaining; there were two other parents there lugging children the same size.

So we have two things to learn from children. They don't want to be put down, even at age four, even in places where strollers are ridiculously inconvenient. And they might like to try different positions, not just always be worn exactly the same way. However you wear them, remember that a bit of fussing might be a reminder for you to turn so your little one can see the action. Sure enough, my little started swinging her legs and I asked what she wanted. She just wanted to see; she was bored!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, your post title, 'Listen to your baby" is a great spot for me to invite you to visit m new page about Baby Wearing and Ec (Elimination Communication)

BW is such a wonderful aid to using less nappies, and it is a way to be even closer to a baby that wears no diaper!

Charndra

BW mum in Australia

P.S I was just visiting SoBeBabies from the Natural Project after reading the latest NC newsletter yesterday!